We are hiring male and female general counselors, lifeguards, and fitness/nutrition class instructors for our summer season.
Most employers (and internship sites) recognize the value of the Camp Jump Start counselor. All employers recognize the University you attend, and the merits of the courses taken. It is the Camp Jump Start name on your resume listing your experience that will set you apart from other applicants! It will make your resume “Pop to the Top”. In an interview you will easily transfer the skills you developed while at Camp Jump Start into answering all potential employer questions.
Employers expect that your university will provide knowledge and skill for expertise in your field of study. They will train you in the job.
These are the skills that your future career employers REALLY want to see on your resume.
- Healthy Lifestyle—Employers are becoming more and more health conscious as they realize their bottom line is directly affected by the health and well-being of their employees. This is your chance to become the best version of yourself so you nail that interview.
- Oral Communication Skills—Effective communication is necessary for a successful career in any field. You will develop confidence supervising those younger than you and addressing supervisors appropriately.
- Written Communication Skills—Effective documentation is necessary for any career advancement. With practice, you will improve your speed of thinking to complete your tasks in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal Skills—Relationship building is important for human beings. You will impact the growth and development of each camper as they look to you for guidance. You will begin to develop your own network of people.
- Leadership and Management Skills—You will be trained and mentored by our staff to lead by example and demonstrate professionalism even when challenged. Supervising campers will provide opportunities for you to become a youth development specialist. (Which may also help you become a great parent with your own future children.)
- Team Work and Collaborative Skills—All employers need staff that can work together harmoniously. You will live in a close-knit community of people working toward the same goal. Co-workers support and evaluate each other throughout the season. Constructive criticism will be offered in a non-threatening environment and your unique style will be valued. You will learn so much about yourself this summer and accomplish more than you thought possible.
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking Skills—You will be challenged to think outside-of-the box, working and living with campers as a myriad of issues arise. You will develop your own organizational style as well.
- Creativity—You will further develop your own artistic abilities and viewpoints.* For those who are not “naturally” creative, this is the place to develop. Your future employers will then see you as a well-rounded candidate!
INTERNSHIPS—typically interns receive free room and board along with a completion stipend.
We partner with universities to provide valuable internships for students. Many students serving as counselors have studied in the areas of recreation, health and fitness, dietetics, psychology, social work, and education. Each university and field of interest requirements vary so, in most cases, we can individualize the internship experience to meet the needs of the camp and the student including the length of the contract. Speak to your advisor to see if this is an option for you!
In addition, counselors have 2 hours off in the afternoon on most days so many have also been successful taking an online course for credit during the summer.
Your future begins at Camp Jump Start!
A nine week commitment is required:
- Staff Training Week: June 8 – 13, 2020
- Camp Sessions: June 14 – August 8, 2020
- Agreement Ends: August 9, 2020 at 5 PM
To be considered for a position with Camp Jump Start, we need to receive all of the following documentation:
Mail applications to:
Camp Jump Start
Attn: Staff Application
3602 Lions Den Road
Imperial, MO 63052
Simply, thank you!”